The name for the Perth suburb Yokine was derived from the Aboriginal word meaning "native dog". The name was chosen because the area is close to Dog Swamp.
Yokine was originally part of the grant given to T. R. C. Walters in 1840; however, little early development occurred in Yokine. A group known as Western Australian Golf Limited were identified as the owners of Yokine from at least 1927, and subdivided a small portion of land near the golf course. Prior to World War II the only house in the area was at the eastern end of Royal Street. A housing boom began in the Perth Suburb Yokine after the war and much of the area around the golf course was developed by the early 1950's. The southern section experienced rapid growth in the 1960's and by the late 1970's Yokine was almost completely developed.
Yokine Primary School was built in 1959. In 1971 a library was built, soon followed by an undercover area. In the 1990's a pre primary classroom and play area were established along with a Computer Laboratory. More recently a new Arts block and purpose built Early Childhood block were added as part of the Building Education Revolution initiative. In addition to government funding, the Yokine Primary School P&C has played a major role in supplementing major and minor works through significant contributions. A privately run out of school care facility is located on-site in the large hall that adjoins the undercover assembly area and the P&C operated canteen.